RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Solo update pictures

Wow!

I can recognize good craftmanship when I see it! Again, very nice work Alec! I hope I will be able to see Solo one day.

Pierre Poulin

From: "Alec Smyth" <Asmyth@changepoint.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Solo update pictures
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 00:56:44 -0400

Hi all,

I just posted some updated shots on moki (http://www.prismnet.com/~moki/subfiles.html) showing how the interior is coming along. I'm keeping the viewport off as I find it easiest to get in and out through the bow that way. There are also many things that are ready to just bolt in, but which I've refrained from assembling because they don't let you move around. For example, there's the pilot's "tray", a sonar just inside the bow dome, and a big flood valve that goes on the roof in the middle of the boat.

I posted these pictures with the description in the subject line rather than the body. As a result you can read the descriptions without having to open the "desc" file... and its empty anyway. The photos are in some semblance of logical order if you look at them from the bottom of the page up, although I did make one mistake along the way and posted the same picture twice.

One thing I'm far from proud of is the finish of the interior paint. You can see the drips and sags in the pictures. The reason is it was so miserable painting with epoxy inside a small pipe, even with a respirator, that I pretty much flung the stuff at the wall as fast and hard as I could to get out of there. I got so much epoxy on myself, I could have used my head as a paintbrush were it not inside a plastic bag. The only thing worse was sandblasting the inside of the small pipe first!

The last picture shows the PLC assembly sitting on the floor of the sub. It doesn't go there of course, it's just that it's a handy spot from which to connect it to my laptop and de-bug it through the window. Once debugged and mounted, the instrumentation and power circuits will be finished and I'll be on to the plumbing. I'm hoping to be finished by the end of the year, but have learned the margin of error in my schedule is huge, so who knows...

cheers,

Alec

automated process and should be complete within five minutes of receipt
of your request.

mailto:removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311