From: "Coalbunny" <coalbunny@vcn.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS - 3/17.1.1 - Normal Ballast System

Dan, excellent post!  FYI- SAM is surface to air.  You mean ICBM,
correct?  I know the navy launched cruise missiles frim underwater, but
I think they did SAMs.
Carl

Dan H. wrote:

Pierre,

As much as you may want to, it's almost impossible to build a small home
built P-SUB to meet all the specifications called for in ABS, PVHO, the
Coast Guard and the like.  Try your best to meet as many of their
requirements and look very closely at the ones you can't meet.  Some of

the

regulations aren't a must for the way we will be using our small subs.

( I except a bunch of flask to this message, but it's reality.)

My tiny K-350 is a world apart from Alvin and other small subs of it's

kind.

My sub won't hold a candle to it as far as it's capabilities and uses

and

can't be expected to hold a candle to it in safety features either.

Please don't get me wrong.  I am VERY safety conscious, but if I'm

putting

around in my little yellow toy at the bottom of a lake with a maximum

dept

of 60 feet, I'm not to concerned about a three day life support system.
Heck, if I'm not home for supper, my wife will have the divers and a tow
truck there to drag me out before the dinner gets cold.

Seriously, with a dive plan, my surface support people will have the

dive

rescue in the water in no more then an hours in any lakes in my area.

When

I dive somewhere else, I'll surely outfit my sub accordingly.

Plan safe, build safe, dive safe but don't get to hung up on standards

that

you don't need to be concerned with.

If you won't be in a body of water that ever gets swells over a foot, is
three feet of freeboard really required?

On another note. You mentioned that you have 800 pounds of drop weight.
That's a LOT OF WEIGHT!  If you let 800 pounds drop all at once you'll

break

the surface like a SAM missile!  I hope you plan to drop in stages as

you

require.

I don't know why a drop weight wouldn't be a secondary ballast release.

It

would get you positive buoyant.

Dan H.