RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need formulas please

Hugo,

No offense taken. I am a programmer not an engineer, as such I have a
different outlook on this. As an example of what I mean: I've been writing
code for many years in the language of Visual Basic. For work I've had to
write programs in Java. To do so, I've been able to look through a book,
familiarize myself and quickly produce a working program. The same for goes
for C++.

My initial mindset was listed in the simple 4 step overview:
1)Design it so that it's round.
2)Put on some ballast tanks
3)Fill them until you sink.
4)Blow them to rise.

However I am rapidly learning that if I continue with this mindset, it won't
work. By that I mean I could kill myself.

That is the reason why I've requested the formulas. I'm trying to be able to
look at the physics of the situation - not the simplified approach I started
with. I do realize that I can't just plug the numbers into a calculator and
out comes a sub.  I am learning an immense amount about subs and what goes
in to the design. My primary goal is to build a safe device, not only the
hull. The design I wind up with will have redundant systems for propulsion,
life support, etc..

I've already established goals for the sub. I want to see what's involved in
attaining them. I am not looking to build a sub that comparable to the
mighty CSSX. The 4 steps listed above are not my stated goals.

I'm sorry if my questions are too broad for this mailing list. If I am
asking questions in the wrong place, please let me know where they should be
posed. My goal in asking is to learn not too annoy.

Marten