Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] welding used steel

Have you ever seen the muffer blow out of a car? Oh yeah, it happens, there is CO2,
but there is also a lot of flammable material in the exhaust of even the most effecient
car. What I have seen done is the tank is filled with water, then an abrasive cut-off saw
is used to cut the tank. It can be done safely, but I would agree that it probably isn't
worth it. My experience told me that it was an awfull lot of hassle to save some money.

Warren.

"Dan H." <jmachine@adelphia.net> wrote:
I remember being told that running the exhaust from a car or truck into a
tank to purge out the available oxygen was a way to weld a tank that once
held flammables. I never tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't be
as good as purging with CO2. That was before cars came with the pollution
devices though, if that makes a matter or not.

To tell the truth, CO2 or exhaust gases, I just avoid welding or cutting any
tanks when flammables were ever involved. I once saw a five gallon can blow
up while a guy tried to grind off the top. It wasn't pretty!

A propane tank hull isn't as much of a sub as one might think. It looks
like a good start but it's only the tip of the iceberg. After building my
sub, I see where the cylindrical tube and the two endcaps was about the 5%
mark of the completed sub.

Don't over estimate starting with a tank.
Dan H.