Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] welding used steel

In cutting propane tanks I have used several techniques. First one is flooding the tank with waterr and leaving it full for no less than 24 hours. Then drain and cut. Another is with a freshly emtied tank, cut very very slowly with a rotary hacksaw and make sure it's cooled. And then another is slowly drill a hole into the tank and then use that for a jigsaw. And again, cut slowly and keep it cooled. In either case I take a 10 minute break every 5 minutes. Never had a problem.
Carl

Warren Greenway wrote:

Have you ever seen the muffer blow out of a car? Oh yeah, it happens, there is CO2, but there is also a lot of flammable material in the exhaust of even the most effecient car. What I have seen done is the tank is filled with water, then an abrasive cut-off saw is used to cut the tank. It can be done safely, but I would agree that it probably isn't worth it. My experience told me that it was an awfull lot of hassle to save some money. Warren.

"Dan H." <jmachine@adelphia.net> wrote:

    I remember being told that running the exhaust from a car or truck
    into a
    tank to purge out the available oxygen was a way to weld a tank that
    once
    held flammables. I never tried it myself but I don't see why it
    wouldn't be
    as good as purging with CO2. That was before cars came with the
    pollution
    devices though, if that makes a matter or not.

    To tell the truth, CO2 or exhaust gases, I just avoid welding or
    cutting any
    tanks when flammables were ever involved. I once saw a five gallon
    can blow
    up while a guy tried to grind off the top. It wasn't pretty!

    A propane tank hull isn't as much of a sub as one might think. It looks
    like a good start but it's only the tip of the iceberg. After
    building my
    sub, I see where the cylindrical tube and the two endcaps was about
    the 5%
    mark of the completed sub.

    Don't over estimate starting with! a tank.
    Dan H.