[PSUBS-MAILIST] Bubbles on Acrylic

Greetings

Having read the disscussion below I wanted to know if anyone knows if hydrophilic acrylic is the answer?   One of my local suppliers recomended "Spartech" a cell cast acrylic sheet from Polycast.  Is anyone using this?    Perhapse the chemical treatment approach is the answer.  Has anyone tried that?

Thanks for your help,
Doug Jackson

----------
Alan,

A quick google search indicates that acrylic can be either hydrophilic (
i.e., strong affinity for water) or hydrophobic (affinity for oils) .  My
guess is that yours is hydrophobic.  You can tell by placing a drop of water
on the viewport and observing if it wants to bead up ( hydrophobic) or smear
out (hydrophilic). If its hydrophobic, then small micro imperfections in the
acrylic viewport will contain very small air bubble that act as nucleation
points for larger air bubbles.   If this is so, (just a guess) then, you
might be able to use a product sold to make rain water sheet on windshields.
This makes the surface, at least for a while, more hydrophilic. Auto supply
stores carry this type of product.  Just a thought.

Cliff