[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: The Kinder, Gentler....changed to Verne

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:06:56 -0800 Steven Mills  writes:

>This small creature is crawling out from underneath this large rock,
>that is pSubs, into the harsh light of day to add a few more cents to
>the legacy of Verne and other notable fantasists or scifi writers. And
>the pitiable bankrupt among us whose submersible resides and remains
>as an illusion of the mind.

I don't see that there's anything particularly bankrupt about not
having built anything.   Carsten, the high-end role model here,
was in that state a while back.

>A search of the net will show hundreds of sites devoted to Jules Verne.
>A few have themes on building the Nautilus which is actually "Disney's"
>concept of what the Nautilus is and has become the popular standard.

I was very disappointed with the Disney movie.  I'd read the book ...

>But, there are other concepts and models of the Nautilus that are just
as
>intriguing, if not more interesting, and plausible besides the Disney
version.
>However, my hat is tipped to those who took a complete fantasy and
>made it reality by building a facsimile.  But, I believe, what
fascinates us more
>about the Nautilus and Capt. Nemo, is the inner workings of it and the
complete
>environment, and the reliance of the bounty of the sea to sustain long
term
>submergence, [ heck near total submergence ] not just a sub that looks
like the >Nautilus.

Verne's book was significant in my life.   I have to agree that total
"system"
was the attraction.   The sub was cool, but being dependent on the sea
was
the real hook for a bright pre-teen.

> Verne did not
>leave a builder's manual or a How-to-book.  There are only hints and
>artists' conception of the Nautilus in "20K".

Verne's book is the best 19th-century submarine design manual.
Really.  His math works (if you use the latest translation!).

>ps:  if you haven't seen "Flight of the Phoenix" with Jimmy Stewart and
>Hardy Kruger [ and other notable cast members ] it's worth seeing.  It's
not subs,
>but has a thread of familiarity to it.   Sorry, I can't give away the
plot.
>Alas,it's just fiction and fantasy, too.  ce la vie..............

Well .... it's not *completely* fiction.   They built the escape device,
and
it worked.

Mike

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!