Verne: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] The Kinder, Gentler....changed to Verne

This small creature is crawling out from underneath this large rock,
that is pSubs, into the harsh light of day to add a few more cents to the
legacy of Verne and other notable fantasists or scifi writers. And to the
pitiable bankrupt among us whose submersible resides and remains
as an illusion of the mind.

A search of the net will show hundreds of sites devoted to Jules Verne.
A few have themes on building the Nautilus which is actually "Disney's"
concept of what the Nautilus is and has become the popular standard.
But, there are other concepts and models of the Nautilus that are just as
intriguing, if not more interesting, and plausible besides the Disney
version.
However, my hat is tipped to those who took a complete fantasy and made
it reality
by building a facsimile.  But, I believe, what fascinates us more about
the Nautilus
and Capt. Nemo, is the inner workings of it and the complete environment,
and the reliance of the bounty of the sea to sustain long term
submergence, [ heck
near total submergence ] not just a sub that looks like the Nautilus.
Verne did not
leave a builder's manual or a How-to-book.  There are only hints and
artists'
conception of the Nautilus in "20K".  I want the "real" Nautilus not a
shell look-
a-like built over a pressure hull....so, "dreamers dream on...."  Design
this and
I will bow down to you with great reverence!  Not even boomers and
nuclear
powered subs can match Verne's Nautilus for total life and living under
the sea.
...so, dreamers dream on....

The only person who even comes slightly close to building a crewed,
sustainable
vessel is Carsten and the Euronaut.  And that's not very close  ;-) but,
hey, it's
closer than most civilians have come.
Perhaps Carsten is more deserving of the moniker "Capt. Nemo" ?

Well, I'll crawl back under that large rock, now, the harsh light of
reality is hurting
my eyes.

"Mobilis in Mobile"

--Steve

ps:  if you haven't seen "Flight of the Phoenix" with Jimmy Stewart and
Hardy Kruger
[ and other notable cast members ] it's worth seeing.  It's not subs, but
has a
thread of familiarity to it.   Sorry, I can't give away the plot.  Alas,
it's just fiction and
fantasy, too.  ce la vie..............

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!