RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dry ambient concept

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:59:46 -0500, "Pierre Poulin" <pipo305@hotmail.com>
said:
> Hi Alexander!
>
> you can go to this link: http://www.psubs.org/convention/2003/
>
> And click on speakers, you will have access to all the material of the
> 2003
> convention. I made a presentation about BIG.

Ahhhhhh. THAT Sub. Looks very neat. Probably would have excellent vision.

Comment - The freeboard looks very small though. I drew up quite a few
plans of a prone position sub. I could only come up with four answers to
the hatch-close-to-the-water problem:
1. Only open the hatch when ashore. Obvious problems.
2. Swim out a keel hatch Markham style - lacks elegance
3. Build a conning tower - more weight!
4. Build a floodable conning tower, open at the top with a valve at the
bottom.
       >Diving - open the valve to flood the tower
       >Surfacing - wait for the tower to drain by gravity before closing the valve.
       >Surfaced - Open your hatch and stay dry.

I think that a sub should be comfortable, so my current ideal is a
sitting X-legged position.

On the hatch - how are you sealing it? How do you lock it closed? I was
considering a inwards opening hatch, but it would use up too much room.
Another option I was thinking of was using a giant screw-on lid.

> If you have more question after viewing this, please just let me know!!!

Do you have any written info on how you constructed the frame and hull? I
am VERY keen to find out, and to hear about your test dives. I think my
boat will be similar to yours.

> Pierre Poulin

P.S. Where I come from, absolutely nobody is interested in subs except
when a Navy Collins surfaces in the local bay (this is where they do
their sea trials). It is such a relief to finally find people with
similar interests.
--
Alexander R Foreman
Port Lincoln, South Australia