Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bilg pump

Doug,

Whew, for the moment I thought you might of thought I was crazy
bringing up bowling balls. Just being descriptive about
weight/balance/trim.
Good to know I'm only partially nuts.

Also, I was thinking about the power overhead needed to operate bilge
pumps vs just human power needed to manipulate a mechanical ballast
system. But, I assume both would be desireable.

Off topic:
As for the "blocks", it wasn't just the blocks, but the blocks and the
weight of our
bodies [ mine mashed up against the yoke face pressed on windshield ]
that offset the COG so that it was forward heavy. Kind of like tipping a
seesaw.
Also, all it took was a slight pitch down so the prop could chew some air
and
thrust to add forward momentum so it just wasn't the weight offset.
The other amazing thing is since we were mashed up like that you couldn't
see
the airspeed indicator. I read and was taught not to trust your instincts
[ ie.,
"Stick 'n Rudder" the classic ].  But I've come to realize [ and after
flying for
a while ] that pilots develop a whole "new" set of instincts otherwise
how did my
instructor know when to pull back on the yoke when minimum airspeed
before
stall was reached? He was hugging the console , too.  Well, it worked and
I'm
still here !  I'm sure the physics could be worked out to demonstrate
this. After
that episode I asked him for all the emergency training I could get.  Try
spin
recovery under the hood  : -o   don't eat before doing this.

--Steve

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!