From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of DJACKSON99@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 1:46 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient Vs. 1-Atm Quandary

Hello Shawn

I'm not too sure you'd really save that much time or money, and you sure had convinced me that 1 atm was the best and safe way for you given what you want to achieve.  I can really see the fun of standing a sub on tail and breaching the surface, and that would not be possible in an ambient.  Maybe the time and cost are cut significantly if you just built for 100 feet with the possibility of upgrading through hulls, acrylic, etc for deeper water?  That would give you a working sub and experience before you build that thruster that has to work at 300 ft.  I guess it's really is a questions of where you plan to operate.  So where do you plan to use your sub?  Is it for thrills in the water column or do you plan to chase after a whale?

And yes, wet and ambient subs are second class citizens at PSUBS, but sometimes they are the perfect solution.  I choose dry ambient because I plan to stay around 30 feet for most dives and go slow. The the pretty stuff is mainly shallow and there are lots of wrecks found near the shores.  I also want to stay dry in the winter, and finally I want to use it for wake boarding.  Try that in a 1 atm!

Ambient Rules My Life!

Doug J