Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Scuttle valves & Divorce Court

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:00:04 -0500 "Pierre Poulin" <pipo305@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Hi Steve!
>
> Could that be used to estimate spped with a given thrust?
>
> Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Yes, I believe so.  That's why I was so intrigued by that AUV paper.
Ansys,
proEngineer is usually suited to high performance as in military subs
and other hi-speed craft.  I thought lowspeeds around 5+knots would be
insignificant. Besides, most ROVs/AUVs are designed for utility.
Hovering,
turning, stationary keeping, and slow rise/descent would be factors.

The AUV paper took into consideration surface area and chord of planes
like the bowplanes, also the thrusters...etc.

Erik had an interesting facet of his sub with the aft duct and the
v-tail. I was
curious to know if that was an advantage or contribute to parasitic drag.
Would the water compress going thru the duct aiding in thrust in forward
motion or just eliminate or add to turbulence.

Anyway, I'm still working on it.

--Steve