Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Speaking of youngsters and dive physiology in general

In a message dated 3/10/04 12:03:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, dirkpitt77@yahoo.com writes:
So, for those of you who are well versed in scuba and dive physiology, what are your thoughts on scuba diving for those people who have a seizure disorder but since they take medication and are ok, want to do it?  Is there any history of epileptic scuba divers and what changes are made to accomodate any abnormal effects of gas or pressure on a slightly less than perfect brain like that?
     I think we're all pretty well agreed that scuba certification is a prerequisite for building a sub, so I hope this doesn't sink the whole plan.  Also, if it matters, my sub will be a 1-atm design.
Nuge,

Here's a site that talks about epilepsy and diving.

FWIW, I have narcolepsy and have pretty much given up SCUBA as an unacceptable risk unless accompanied by a paramedic (fortunately, my brother).  It's also the reason my original design had to be changed from a one-person to two.  I simply can't justify the risk otherwise.

Warm Regards,
Shawn

*****

"Call nothing thy own except thy soul.
Love not what thou art, but only what thou may become.
Do not pursue pleasure, for thou may have the misfortune to overtake it...
Live in the vision of that one for whom great deeds are done ..."

Man of LaMancha, D. Wasserman