[PSUBS-MAILIST] progress

Hey.  The hemispheres were hard to find.  They came as rough sections from "Commercial Metal Forming" Orange Co. CA.  cguido@cmforming.com  Tell her I said Hi. :)

They are 3/8 thick and 36 in. in Diameter.  They were just under $1000 .  But the Co. has sent me a warning that steel prices are going up.

The over all design is my interpretation of the many boats I have seen and read about timbered with my mechanical skills and shop resources.  The hull thickness and rib installations are determined by P-Subs calc. sheet,  my 600 foot depth target, and a whopping good deal on a piece of 1/2 gas pipeline remnant,  $170.

A local weld shop has adopted me and Rod is an employee there.  I am paying for their services.  ( cut rate so far).

I have about $4200 invested so far including a $1000 failed attempt to make my own motor housings, and $400 in machining costs for view ports and hatch cover 'O' ring seals.  I plan on buying a lathe and turning my own valves and thru hull elec. fittings.  I can only work 2-3 hours per evening, after my regular day job, on the sub and have not kept track of the hours.  They cutting and grinding of the hemispheres took many hours.  I've used (6) 71/4 grinding wheels so far.