Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Leak Alarm/lost arts

At 11:00 AM 3/6/2004 -0700, John Brownlee wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 NeophyteSG@aol.com wrote:
>
>>I agree.  It's not "our father's Radio Shack any more."
>
>       There's no Heathkit any more either. Sniff.

and alas! last year saw the death of the last slick-cover electronics magazine,
"Electronics Now", which consolidated the writers after the death of Popular
Electronics, itself preceeded in demise by Electronics Illustrated, and Radio
Electronics. Now I think all that is left is "nuts & volts", a good mag, but
not quite as "basic" in approach as the others. So many kids are software geeks
today, one wonders where the fascination in the hardware went? Another
generation and we'll have a few hardware "priests" who can fix, build things
and no others. Then if/when the civilization crashes, no one will be able to
survive except the few who at least know how to change the oil  in their car.

William Alford