Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Water depth sensing?

For a depth sensor you really want absolute.

The downside to using gauge pressure is that it gives you the pressure relative to the inside of the ROV (or electronics bottle). This is only a problem if you're using hull vaccume to hold the end caps in (as done on DOE vehicles).

This is simple enough to solve by implementing a means to zero the depth reading in software.

Desert Star Systems http://www.desertstar.com has something listed on their web page that might be useful, though it might be OMG expensive.

IIRC good quality pressure transmitters cost between $500 and $1000 so they might be cost competitive.

Given the choice I would use a 0-5V Absolute and interface it to Netmedia BX24. In a time crunch I've had ok experience with 0-5V gauge sensors and 4-20 mA sensors, though we only saved a two week order lead time since the pricing was the same.

The BX 24 gives you an easy way to interface an SPI or serial compass module as well.

let me know if you need any pointers :)

mike

Warren Greenway wrote:

The only real difference is the point of reference for
the sensors. You would want an absolute sensor for
sensing depth/pressure for a sub. Gauge often means the same thing as absolute, differential will have two
sensor inputs and read the difference between the two.
Try the datasheets for the sensor you are interested in. Usually the datasheet will have some standard interface circuits and information. Also, get TI application notes book for the MSP430...Even if you
are
using any MCU. It has great circuits and algorithms
for reading various common sensors.

Warren.

normaly means that there will be t
--- steve <steve@kobol.worldonline.co.uk> wrote:

another question on the subject if i may.
i have heard there are three different types of
sensor available: absolute,
differential and gauge.
i have an idea what the differential type does but
what about the other two?
what should i be looking for to get a linear 0 - 5v
or 0 - 10v output i can
feed to an A to D converter?

Best Regards

Steve Bosworth