Re: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] protecting Aluminum parts

No, not marine industry.  Internal pipeline inspection.  I use 7075 for its
higher strength over 6061 where non magnetic material is req'd and weight
is a problem letting out stainless steels.  Anodizing seems to protect the
aluminium rather well from corrosion.  Our tools are sometimes run for up
to a week in a sea water pipeline, and may spend up to a month on an off
shore platform which seems to eat many materials but the aluminium, if
anodized, seems ok.  Admittedly, corrosion resistance is not my primary
concern.

Jay.

                      Bob Duncan
                      <katsurencho@yahoo.com>           To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] protecting Aluminum parts
                      s@psubs.org

                      2004-01-13 13:44
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

Are you using 7075 in the marine industry?  It would seem to be excessively
acceptable to corrosion.

  bob duncan

jbarlow@bjservices.ca wrote:

 Getting the parts Hard Coat anodized provides aprox 60 HRc surface of
 Aluminum oxide (similar to its natural oxide) but is quite impervious to
 scratches ect. It also makes the surface not conductive thus preventing
 galvanic corrosion. I believe the correct call out is "Type III Hard Coat
 Anodize" I usually get 6061-T6 parts anodized, but have anodized 5052 and
 7075 grades as well.

 My 2¢.

 Jay.

 drewacard@charter.net
 Sent by: To:
 owner-personal_submersible cc:
 s@psubs.org Subject: Re: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] protecting aluminum parts

 2004-01-07 07:47
 Please respond to
 personal_submersibles

 6061 is a marine grade if it is harden to T6 hardness it will form a thin
 oxide layer on it own. This thin layer will protect the metal from salt
 water if it is not scratched. However I would coat the ring with a clear
 epoxy or polyester paint to prevent galvanic corrosion

 just my 2 cents
 Andy Jensen