[PSUBS-MAILIST] Razorback (was: Group support...or is that "Support Group"?)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:40:04 -0600 "Mark Steed"
<plutomark@mail.astate.edu> writes:
>Mike: Thanks for your interest and welcome aboard. You are now part of
>the future crew. Any help, thoughts, inputs-anything is most welcome.
>The Seehund is what I want and with this group, nothing is impossible.

OK, you're on.   I wish I lived nearer.

>By the way, I've been making cracks for a long time about "land
>locked Arkansas" and I may have to eat a little crow. Watching the
>local TV news last night, I was surprised to find out our capital city
>will acquire a submarine. Seems that the city of Little Rock has
>managed to make a deal to get the USS Razorback-SS394, a Balao boat
>from WW2. A little quick rersearch shows she was built by the
>Portsmouth Naval Yard and commissioned January 1944. According to the
>TV reporter, it had been in service with the Turkish Navy and "has
>been moored there several years."

Razorback was commissioned by Al Bontier, who died later as CO
of the Seawolf.   He lost command of the new boat when the ran her
aground when she came into New London.  Roy Benson -- one of Beach's
COs on Trigger -- commanded the wolfpack Benson's Dogs from
Razorback.   After a dud patrol, he turned Razorback over to Charles
Donald Brown.   Apparently, the only sinking confirmed for the boat
was an old DD (Kuretake), on a patrol under Brown as a part of a
wolfpack led by Roy Davenport (in Trepang).   A little later, Brown
fired five torpeodes at a hospital ship; all missed.

The Turks called her Murat Reis, when they got her in 1970.
She spent most of her career, if history is any teacher, wandering
aimlessly in the eastern Med or along the northern coast of
Turkey, hoping no one noticed.

Mike Holt
PSubs SoFlot VaRon 1

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!