[PSUBS-MAILIST] A question on rebreathers and scrubbers

I have been doing a lot of searching trying to find out how rebreathers and
scrubbers work??? I have found that many companies use a product called
sofnolime

The primary constituents of soda lime include Calcium Hydroxide - Ca(OH)2
(about 70-80%), Water - H2O (about 16 to 20%), Sodium Hydroxide - NaOH
(about 1-2%), and Potassium Hydroxide - KOH (about >0-1%).

How different is this product from lime combined with water (Ca(OH)2 + CO2 =
CaCO3 + H2O)

I realize that there is no NaOH in the second but I can't find a reason for
needing it to be there...

Can anyone help me with this or point me in hte right direction.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca