From: Alec Smyth
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 1:59 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] paint recommendation?

This weekend I finished painting Solo inside and out with a product called Gluvit, per Harold Maynard’s recommendation at the convention. This is an unusual base, essentially a thick epoxy glue that is applied to the bare metal and remains flexible, compressing with the hull to avoid cracks or bubbles. I would not have thought of it, and didn’t even find in the paint isle. But the result looks terrific and feels bullet proof. Great tip – thanks Harold!

Next is the surface coat. The main attribute I’m looking for is abrasion and scuff protection, and ideally application with a roller. Scuff protection is far more important to me than a high quality gloss finish, as the boat will constantly come on and off the shop dolly, trailer, etc.

I thought I’d had a bright idea and that garage floor paint might be the toughest thing around. However when I went to Home Depot and read the instructions on the can, it actually described it as “unsuitable for hydrostatic pressure” due to the formation of bubbles. You’d think they knew some nut would come along and want to paint his submarine with the stuff.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Alec