RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question for Alec Smythe

Curtis,

Yes, that's how you get in and out... through the bow on land prior to launch or after retrieval. This by the way is also true of subs with the hatch on the top, because they have so little freeboard that the hatches are not normally opened afloat.

Solo has the batteries in the stern and a drop weight under the bow. In case of emergency, dropping the weight will lift the bow dome clear of the surface.  Realistically,  the freeboard would be so negligible that the pilot would need to get out very fast, and the boat would sink. The bow dome weighs 150lbs. To assist in lifting it vertically in such an emergency, and to do so as quickly, it is actuated by a pair of pneumatic rams.

cheers,

Alec