Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative to Through-Hull Ports for ElectricalConnections

I think that thru-hull penetrators are an old and proven technology that
would be much more in-expensive and relieable than an optical view port.
The optical-viewport transmitter would work I have no doubt, but I question
its merits.  If you really wanted to use optical data transmission, you
would probably be further ahead to use fibre-optic cable instead of wire,
thru a more standard penetrator.  Or even a homemade penetrator.

Please see:

http://www.seaconbrantner.com/

Fibre-optic has the advantage of low loss over great distances, but a PSUB
probably won't be that large.

I currently use the MINI-con & PIE connectors and have used them
sucessfully to 7500 psi with no catastrofic failures and about less than
0.5% with slow leaks (about 1 psi per hour) when used in a gas.  I have
never had a leak in a liquid medium.  Seacon are my prefered but I also use
Impulse and Kemlon with good success.

Jay.

                      Warren Greenway
                      <opensourcesub@yahoo.com>         To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative to Through-Hull Ports for Electrical
                      s@psubs.org                        Connections

                      04/11/2003 09:07 AM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

TI and many others have chipsets to do the work for
you. Search on google. There is IRDA, which will be
overkill, then there are the chipsets used for
appliance remote controls. Also, an MSP430 has the
hardware on chip to encode and decode (and
send/recieve
messages through an optical medium.

Warren.