Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative to Through-Hull Ports for Electrical Connecti...

In a message dated 11/4/03 9:20:18 AM Pacific Standard Time, opensourcesub@yahoo.com writes:
TI and many others have chipsets to do the work for
you. Search on google. There is IRDA, which will be
overkill, then there are the chipsets used for
appliance remote controls. Also, an MSP430 has the
hardware on chip to encode and decode (and
send/recieve
messages through an optical medium.

Warren.
I do so love it when I don't have to reinvent the wheel.  "Off-the-shelf" is our friend. :)  However, before I loose my rampant designer-itis, is there actually a practical need for it?  How prone to leaking/breach are current through-hull ports?  What price/cost range would make it a feasible/cost-effective alternative?

Unless these chipsets can withstand the pressures of the sub's operating range, it'd have to have a wart-ish, hemispherical pressure housing for the outer transceiver with a through-hull to thrusters, instruments, etc.

Warm Regards
Shawn

*****

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour."

-- Auguries of Innocence, William Blake, ca 1803