Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Composite pressure hull?

Take a plastic 1 litre soda bottle, to can pressurize it to a
couple of hundred PSI and it won't burst, but you can almost
crush it with your hand (when it's only got 1ATM pressue inside
it).

Even with your egg, if we assume the egg shell shares the same
properties as steel (I know it doesn't, but...), it will be able
to hold more internal force than external.

This is why most submarines have ribbing/framing on the inside
(although it could be on the outside as well).

If you are interesting a in relevant book, try to get:
   "Pressue Vessels: External Pressure Technology"
                             by Carl T.F. Ross.

It's a little on the advanced side, but it does talk about composites
and aluminum pressure vessels.  Maybe somebody else can recommend a
more introductory book on pressure vessels under external forces.

Ian.