Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Convention Videos

On 7/17/03 12:23 PM, "Ray Keefer" <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the lo down. Sounds like VCD is the way to go. I have a
> CD burner in the budget. I hope my computer will support it as its a
> 200MHZ Pentium dinosar.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray
>

> Michael Wright wrote:
>> Compact Discs come in three physical formats:
>>
>> Commercial (anything that is sold with the data or audio already on it)
>>
>> CDR    (CDRs are write once media, anyone with a cd burner and software
>> can write them, blanks cost $20 per spindle of 50.  A fast burner can
>> write full CDs in about 5 minutes.)
>>
>> CDRW    (Like CDRs except more expensive and they can be erased and reused)
>>
>> CDs come in two sizes (74 Minute, 650MB, and 80 Minute, 700MB
>>
>> DVDs now come in the same varieties, but with some complexity as to what
>> will work in what device.  DVD Writers are still quite expensive and
>> slow.  A DVD holds 4,000 Megabytes of data
>>

>> As to video formats:
>>

>> DVD Movies:  Are normally commercialy produced.  These can hold about 4
>> hours of high quality video.  The play on set-top dvd players and
>> computers with appropriate hardware and software.  Can be commercialy
>> produced or written to DVDR media.
>>
>> VCD: Video CD.  About the same quality as VHS.  Uses Mpeg1 compression
>> and each CD holds about the same amount of video and audio as it would
>> CD quality audio.  (so 60 to 80 minutes per disc).  VCDs can be
>> commercialy written or written on CDR or CDRW media.  Most set top DVD
>> players can also play VCDs.  Computers with CDROM Drives can play them
>> with software.
>>
>> SVCD: Super Video CD.  Nearly DVD quality.  Uses better compression than
>> VCD.  Each disk holds about an hour.  Plays on computers and Set Top DVD
>> players that support SVCD.  Can also be written just like any other CD
>> on a computer.
>>
>> I'd go with VCD format because it's good enough for presentations and
>> works on a good number of set top players.  At this point I don't have a
>> fast burner or I'd offer to make the copies.
>>
>> If necessary I can figure out how to take DVD master to VCD master and
>> runn off a couple of copies.  We can always resort to kinkos for cd
>> copies, but it might be cheaper to just buy a fast burner for whoever is
>> willing to watch it for a few hours.
>>
>> mike
>>

>> Ray Keefer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> OK, I'll expose my ignorance. I have a old PC that will read CDs but
>>> will not write them nor read DVD's. So when someone starts talking about
>>> CDR media, DVD, DVT... formats.
>>>
>>> Can someone spell out what formats there are and which are
>>> reproducible at low cost and what equipment is needed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ray

Ray, you might get a really fast burner, like the lite-on (they make good
burners and arent that expencive) their fastest burner costs about 70 bucks
and can burn a full cd in under 3 min. however. Your computer might not be
fast enough to deliver data to the burner fast enoough, resulting in buffer
underburn, rendering the disk worthless. A great place to get computer
componets is www.newegg.com. You can get a good computer for about 500 bucks
that would burn cds fast. You could try it with your computer but you might
have to burn the cd's a a lower burn speed. Feel free to ask me any
questions.
-- Jake Colman
   Dancing Donkey Entertainment
   Jake@Superdailies.com