Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bill Gifford's Project

>From: Dan H. <JMachine@adelphia.net>
>
> I visited Bill's site and read what you quoted.  Bill's project sure looks
> interesting but I wish, for confusion sake, Bill would have noted that his
> propane tanks that were tested to 325 PSI and rated at 250 PSI for INTERNAL
> pressure!  External pressure is a TOTALLY different matter.   I'm sure Bill
> realizes this and is designing accordingly.

Thanks.  That thought had occurred to me just before receiving your
response.

Perhaps I need a little clarification on the definition of dual pressure
hulls.  Is Bill's design a dual hull or a reinforced single pressure hull
[ using the small tube and frames for reinforcement ; and the smaller
tank left open ended after the cut or capped-off]? The ends of the
smaller tank were cut and welded to the larger for hard ballasts.
For simplicity, my mind envisions something akin to a thermos bottle;
2 closed vessels reinforced with frames or stiffening rings between
the 2 hulls. [ Which brings me to the next question...]

> One thing to consider when designing one tank nested inside another is that
> you can't weld your framing to both tanks unless the difference in size is
> great.

So, I would think that the framing would be welded on the outside of the
inner hull?  The outer hull would not only be subjected to pressures
initially, but also to temperature differentials?  The contraction and
expansion over time would fatigue and stress the welds at the inner
part of the outer hull first if the 2 hulls were welded together at the frames?
The temperature in the inner hull would be affected by intenal environment
ie., body heat and residual mechanical/electrical heat?  Or are these
minute considerations?

>Even if you design it strong enough without the frames welded to
> both tanks, you still have the risk of corrosion in places that you can't
> access for inspection.

Would a foam, dessicant, or bonded covering [ anodizing the steel?]
solve this problem?

--Steve