Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bill Gifford's Project

>From: Warren Greenway <opensourcesub@yahoo.com>
>
> They are rolled and welded (so, yes, they do have a
> seam.) The ends are then welded onto the tube. This
> is standard practice, and while there may be variation
> you can bank on them being built this way.
>
> Warren.

Thanks.

Bill uses 2 tanks with the same ASME rating, but it is a single
pressure hull. [ see quote/specs below ]

If a double hull were to be designed, would you have the inner hull
at a stronger and thicker spec than the outer hull? [ using 2 propane
tanks ]

Also, this might seem an oddball question or inconsequential, but
should the weld seams on both hulls be parallel and lined up with
each other?

--Steve

....quoted fromBill Gifford's website....
http://www.giffordmarineinc.com/sub/little_gato5_9_01.htm

"I have chosen to use two new propane tanks to form the pressure hull.
Each tank is made of A-516 grade 70-pressure vessel steel, .270 inch's
thick. Both tanks were pressure tested to 325 pounds. They have a working
pressure of 250 pounds and are ASME rated with a spec. Plate on each
tank. I am installing three by one half-inch reinforcement rings every two-foot
on center. Plus additional deck and bulkhead framing. The one-tank easures
17.6 ft. long and the other is 9 ft. I have cut a hole in the top of the larger tank,
around that I intend to install the conning tower, which is made up of parts
of the smaller tank and additional plate. I have cut the ends from the smaller
tank and have connected them on each end of the larger tank for hard
ballast. I have purchased a eighteen-foot by two foot by quarter inch pipe
for the soft ballast tanks. The pipe was split log ways and will be attached
to each side, to form the side tanks. The sub will have a displacement of
approx. 18,000 lbs. "