Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Speaking of starting flame wars ...

>From: <mckellar@earthlink.net>
>

> At 17:52 5/7/03 -0700, you wrote:
> >Speaking of Australia. I hear there is a breed of shepherding
> >dogs that are one the smartest canines in the world.
>
> they are a kelpie cross.  very, very smart, but then farmers here have
> exerted some pretty fierce evolutonary pressure :)

Thanks Peter.

By "evolutonary pressure" I assume you mean forced genetics and
breeding? If so, that is sad...usually the dog suffers by resulting
anomalies.

> my sister calls the rejects 'gully dogs' (they end up dead in the nearest
> gully).  I knew a guy that shot a dog from his bedroom window at 2am
> because it didnt understand 'shut-up'.

Again, sad state of affairs.  Here in the U.S., Greyhounds suffer horrible
neglect and death [ for poor performance at the dog tracks or old age].
There are a few adoption programs for these dogs. Unfortunately. not
enough people adopting them.

> about 12mths ago i watched the family rounding up some cattle.  the dogs
> would slink thru the grass and keep the mob together and moving by
> lightning attacks on stragglers and slow beasts.  What amazed me was the > horse my 11yr old nephew was on would charge the bull and larger steers
> when they resisted - biting them on the neck and shoulders - he had to hold
Are these horses similar to "Cutters" we have here in America? Cutters
are quite smart and agile and are used in cattle drives to roundup
stragglers and little lost dogies.  :-)  I used to spend my summers in
Western Montana where cattle ranchers and sheep herders have
introduced Llamas to keep and protect the herds.  They have quite a
kick and can knock a bull down on it's keester.

> on - but this was a human observer only task - the horses and dogs had it
> under control :)

Indeed! It's fascinating to watch.

> im pretty sure my sister wouldnt TRADE the dogs or horses - but she always
> considers straight cash offers :)

Hmmm, well, that isn't exactly the kind of trade I had in mind.  But let's
just leave it that. I don't want you or I to get into anymore hot water
with the wives.  I'm still trying to pry my foot out of my mouth...I won't
tell you where the other foot is     ;^)

--Steve