From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of
DJACKSON99@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 10:02 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Waterproof controls

I was planning on routinely flooding the cabin in order to provide
additional negative buoyancy and in order to practice emergence escape
procedures with my partner.  To that end I figured on mounting the fish
finder and a gps in an enclosed acrylic dash board. It would be nice, but
not totally necessary to be able to operate a few of the control buttons,
especially on the gps.  I suppose a mechanical button could be built into
the acrylic panel but I don't have any simple ideas for that, you?  I don't
want a CRT just because of the size.

-- Doug Jackson

In a message dated 4/18/2003 10:12:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
psub_only_temporary@hotmail.com writes:

> I had also wondered how a fishfinder display might withstand the flooding
of
> the pressure hull.  I aim for the simplest design possible, so I worry
more
> about the mechanical strength of the components and less about the
> reliability of the electrical components.  Along that line of thought I
read
> in the Aquarius habitat's online "user manual" that the LCD screens on
> laptops were permitted but that monitors using Cathode Ray Tubes were not
> allowed in the habitat.  I had never thought of CRTs as being dangerous,
but
> I am reminded of the time I threw a brick though one; the weight and range
> of the chunks of glass that came flying back at me sure gave me a
surprise.
> Whether the risk of imploding the monitor is the reason for the ban on
CRTs