RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Euvreka/fast sub design

At 06:24 PM 4/12/2003 -0500, martlet1 wrote:
>I think that there's a lot that we as sub builders could learn from the
>design of supersonic jets.  That is, if we want our subs to go fast.
>Anything to reduce drag and frontal area.

I watched the excellent PBS documentary on subs last week (or before?). An
excellent history and many archival film clips from history. One fact that
stuck in my mind was the mention of USA research for nuclear sub's hull design
for speed for which the result was that the fastest hull design was that which
had a pure circle for any cross-section of any part of the hull. When you look
at them, the nose looks like a bullet (hey, those go fast through the air!).
Apparently the research has been done for us-- Now building that is another
story.

William Alford