Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Run Silent, Run Cheap-Shot

FORBES said they wanted to do an article on the homebuilt submarine
lifestyle, and present it to their readers from the aspect of  "you can do
this too".  I thought that would help subbers in general, so I agreed to
participate.

For the record: I did send them a written article which contained all the
info necessary to do a fine story about these uniquely talented craftsmen.
Through multiple phone interviews and one fact-checking session, I was
continually assured homebuilt submarine enthusiasts would be represented in
a positive light.

What hit the stands called homebuilt subbers "cheap"; misrepresented
numerous facts about me; misquoted me as saying that operating my submarine
was "terrifying"; described my unique and reliable NAUTILUS MINISUB as being
"frankly scary"; and skimmed over Karl Stanley's most noteworthy
accomplishments to detail the one time he was hassled by the Coast Guard.

>From the standpoint of someone with a real investment in homebuilt
submarines, that article couldn't have turned out any worse if some jealous
non-subber wannabe had taken Armstrong aside and spoiled it for us.

Regarding the question asked elsewhere in this thread about possible
guidelines: I'm not aligned with PSUBS, so I'm not going to suggest what
this group should do.  Speaking for myself alone, I will say again what I
said before.  From now on I only deal with publicists who let me write my
own articles and publish them with minimal editing; and then ONLY after I've
had a chance to correct the edited copy.  In film maker's terms: I get final
cut.

I recently rejected one publisher who wanted to portray me as "the mad
scientist Captain Nemo, working on his weapons of vengeance on a remote
island in the Pacific".  But I've got two other magazines, one book, and
three websites doing stories about my work.  I've also been invited to speak
at a gathering of 20,000 LEAGUES fans, and received an offer of sponsorship
for a major trade-show.  I'm serious about my NAUTILUS MINISUB, my HYPERSUB,
my NEMOSUIT, my NAUTILUS DIVER, and the other projects I'm working on.  If
some people can't respect that, I don't need 'em.

Subbers have always been mocked by those unable to understand what we do.
Never again will I let a non-subber tell my story for me.

Pat Regan
VULCANIA SUBMARINE
Hawaii