From: Michael B Holt [mailto:tlohm@juno.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 11:15 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Blue-green laser (was: Empress of Ireland)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:19:16 -0800 Tim Reilly writes:
>Speaking of dreaming, I was just reading a book called Stingray by
>Bill Keith, and I was wondering, if there are any electronics engineers
out
>there, if a system using a blue-green laser and active and passive
sonar
>would be practical.

In Busby, there's a chart showing the attentuation of various
colors.    Well, I remember seeing one somewhere.   Blue-green
penetrates deeper than any other color, I think.

What did that system do with the combination of laser and
sonar?

> This is my primary concern with a sub, is being  able to
>see for an extended distance under water.

That's one thing that holds me back from getting really
serious: around here, visibility is about a meter at noon
at a depth of a meter!

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com