[PSUBS-MAILIST] dual hull

As I stated I agree with point 5 and 3.  On your list are not No.s 1, 2, &
6 the same?  If the interior hull were fibreglass, it would be lighter
overall?  Even I, the steel guy, would go for a fibreglass hull if it was
guaranteed to only ever see a set pressure (100 psi, 50 psi, whatever)  and
was impossible to bump it into something and crack it.  What welding
in-between?  Maybe none is needed?  You would need heavy endcaps to take
the end load, but that isn't insurmountable.

Really all I wanted was for someone to check the math and concept?

Like I said, I didn't really want to be flamed and I wasn't advocating it,
I just thought it was an interesting mental exercise, with possible
benefits?

The major drawback I see is the overall larger displacement (thicker hull),
but perhaps it would be significantly lighter overall, if done right?

And you still have to weigh enough to sink, but that could come from
batteries, or other useful goodies.

Jay.

I still believe that Jeff's 3/4" Fibreglass hull that is light and fast and
good to 1000' is stretching it though.  I don't believe that weight is the
problem for speed in a sub,  as all subs must have a density close to that
of water,  correct??

                      Ray Keefer
                      <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM>              To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Welcome, apologies and multi-hulls.
                      s@psubs.org

                      28/01/2003 04:41 PM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

Hi EM,

Yes, this has been discussed before.

Yes, you can use a multi hull with a bunch of partial pressure zones
and it would work.

The drawbacks make the idea not worth it. They are:

1. Added complexity in construction and welding. All the joints have to
   be accessible to weld properly.

2. The partial zones all have to be big enough with access hatches
   to allow for welding, inspection and cleaning. Adding cost.

3. The material costs adds up to more then what you would of needed
   with a single pressure hull. Three 1/4" plates are more expensive
   the a single 3/4" plate.

4. The pressure difference between the interior of the sub and outside
   is still the same.

5. Multiple pressure zones adds to the displacement for the size of
   interior space. So you get a heavier sub with less room inside.

6. More weld seams create require more inspection. More joints for
   possible failures.

Regards,
Ray