Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Welcome, apologies and multi-hulls.

The sum of the forces has to equal zero. The sum of the forces or the
strength of the hull has to be equal to or greater then the sum of the
external forces exerted by the water on the hull. So hull strength is a
function of material properties in conjunction with the geometery. As the
diameter of the hull increases, reinforcement has to increase (ie. plate
thickness). If engineering calls for 1/2 plate at a 36 in. diameter, but you
want to use thinner material and propose a double hulled design, that's a
plausible idea, but you are still dealing with, let's say 300 psi.
In order for the sub to remain static, the forces will be transfered through
each layer until they go to zero. The amount of material used in the hull
might be decreased (steel is cheap though), but fabrication will be a lot
more complicated and costly while the pressure has stayed the same. A single
walled cylindrical hull with reinforcing rings is the most economical
design, besides one that is spherical.
A "honeycomb" structure is very strong and is similar to a double hull
structure. While this design might someday be the next best thing, the
barrier comes when trying to come up with a fabrication method that is
economical. Kind of like the idea that you can make gold out of lead. You
can make gold but after you're done, you've spent more on the process and
it's radioactive. Again it's economics.

I'm interested in the ideas of using other materials, but the conversation
should be based on developing ecconomical fabrication methods.
Adam