Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery question

On Monday, Jan 27, 2003, at 22:08 US/Central, Warrend Greenway wrote:
> Hey, I have a battery question, for those information buffs: What would
> the overall dangers and benefits of placing the batteries inside the
> pressure hull be? What do you do about battery venting, if they are in
> water-tight battery pods? This isn't random, I was laying out parts of
> the OSS pressure hull and found that the batteries fit neatly inside
> the
> base of the hull. They could be sealed with an air tight  bolt-on deck.
> Any input? Should I give this up now and place the batteries in pods
> outside the hull??? Any input would be great!

Sealed batteries are available. As long as you're buying them all new
anyway, I was under the impression that those AGM (?) ones you can
mount sideways and upside-down were pretty safe from the usual
hydrogen-venting, blow-you-up standpoint that's of concern to
submariners.

Anybody? Is this not true? Are we still not comfortable living with
them in the same space as us?

David
buchner@wcta.net
Osage, MN, USA