From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Doc
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 10:14 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS, interpersonal communication

Even without sonar or hydrophones I could usually hear surface motor
traffic from quite a way out, and if you have upward visibility, unless
you're diving  on a dark moonless night, surface silhouettes can be seen
from a safe depth even in rather murky water. But them damn sailboats
can sure sneak up on ya quick.

 We use support boats during testing and training, especially in the
lakes here, but then, it's much better to be independent once equipment
and pilot have reached a comfort level together. It can be tough to
round up a support crew to sit out in a boat and wait for you to finnish
having fun below the waves while they're fighting frostbite topside. You
can usually only get away with that once, then start looking for new
suckers,,,, I mean crew.

Doc