[PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB OSS Modular design.

http://www.howell.ca/howhome.htm

http://www.cefranklin.com/indexserv4.html

http://www.texmet.com/

http://www.what-flange.demon.co.uk/customflanges.htm

http://www.texasflange.com/catalog.pdf

Warren:  External flanges come pre machined ready to weld to pipe.  Bolt
corrosion is no more of a problem than the hull corrosion, so it shouldn't
matter where the bolts are.  Paint after assembly.  Before outer skin
(shell) is attached to reduce drag.   Also I wouldn't think one would want
to take it apart very often.  I still think inside is nicer, but outside is
far cheaper and easier.

Dale:  Also Line pipe is pressure tested at mill (Every section), and
shorts (ie less than 40' long pieces) can be had surplus at very much
reduced cost.  If often comes with factory applied coating against
corrosion, so only joints would need to be coated (paint??) The coating is
usually very good.

I can't find links to larger flanges just now on web, but I known they are
available.  36" , 42", 48", & 56" are common.  36" is very common.  Other
sizes are less common but still available.  In fact if someone found a
piece of 38" Line pipe it might be very cheap, but then the fittings,
flanges etc, would be expensive.

On a tangent, If you wanted a conning tower, you could weld tee in the
centre, giving a nice round place to put a hatch, and a strong well known
transition.

I myself like the idea of a nice streamlined external shape of fibreglass
or some such that could be a ballast tank.  Bolted onto the top and bottom
along the sides.  I may try a jpg tonite if I have time.

Jay.

What we would want is those flanges in the machined state
before they are attached to anything, so we could weld them
to the inside of the pressure hull. They really need to be
on the inside, so it will be easier to assemble/disassemble,
reduce drag, and prevent corrosion of the bolts.

Warren.

                      "Dale A. Raby"
                      <publisher@thegreenbayweb.        To:       "PSUBS.org mailing list" <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
                      com>                              cc:
                      Sent by:                          Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS spec sheet
                      owner-personal_submersible
                      s@psubs.org

                      15/01/2003 12:37 PM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

For what it's worth... I like the modular concept idea... and I like the
external flange idea.  It would be much easier to unbolt something from the
outside... easier to bolt together too as a matter of fact.  Also, high
pressure pipe must be available commercially... a further cost reduction...
and commercial flanges must be available in the sizes that pipes come in.

The advantages of the internal flange are more than offset by the sheer
pain in the nether regions required by crawling into a 1.5 meter cylinder
and working around interior contents.  Ever try to change the spark plugs
in some of these modern automobiles?  I got enough busted knuckles, thank
you very much.

The flanges could be "guppied" later on with something as simple as a
fastened on "skin" or shroud that wouldn't even need to be pressurized.