Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure air drive.

Sorry Pierre,
      I realise that this wasn't addressed to me but I felt compelled to
have one last flogging at the long dead and decomposed horse.
I had a hard time finding this because most air tools are rated on the
supply air.  Here is one on exhaust.  However I think a simple low pressure
test would be free easy prior to spending money.

http://www.irtools.com/industrial/ecatalog.html

 Model TD 250RG4K is the basis of these comparison calcs.  I can't seem to
link to that page directly, but if you use the search by model No. it seems
to work.

Note that this model generates 0.7 hp at 25000 rpm using 90 psi supply air.
Roughly the same as the one previously discussed. Air consumption is stated
as 26 cfm.

P1 V1 = P2 V2
Solving for V2
 90 psi x 3 cfm = 14.7 psi (x)
(x) = 18.36 cfm

Using Jay's Method to generate 0.6hp
Remember that this number is small because air is not an ideal gas.  That
would likely account for the difference between the 22.28 cfm and 26 cfm
below.
____________________________________

Unless you believe that the one you found is so much more  efficient (3cfm
: 26 cfm = 866%).  Actually taking into account the hp differences the
number is a little less if you count in the hp differences.
  0.6 hp / 0.7 hp = 85%
0.85 x 26 cfm (to put them on an even playing field) = 22.28 cfm

Then the difference becomes 3 cfm : 22.28 = 742%

You can buy simple in-line oilers for these air tools.  Moisture can be
taken care of by a trap in the line you use to fill your tanks prior to
your excursion, the length of which seems to be the subject of some debate.
The tools are that fussy about a little bit in the supply air.  They are
used in shops all the time without air dryers.  The exhaust valve would be
elegant to be a check valve but it might be cheaper for a ball valve to
shut of the exhaust. It would stall the motor and stop water from entering
the motor.

I promise to shut up about this and behave now.

Jay.

                      "Pierre Poulin"
                      <pipo305@hotmail.com>             To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure air drive.
                      s@psubs.org

                      09/01/2003 07:25 PM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

Carsten,

Are you sure about the 3 cfm at 1atm? I am pretty serious about using the
air driven on my ambient sub in fresh water.

If the tooling is 3 cfm at 90 psi the difference between 73 minutes and
12 minutes of autonomy is really big!

Thank you very much!!

Pierre

http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp