From: "Mark Steed" <plutomark@mail.astate.edu>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure air drive.

> Herve: Excellent stuff. Thanks. One of the most dangerous aspects of SCUBA
cylinders that I am familiar with is high heat. Anytime aluminum cylinders
are exposed to high heat, they turn extremely brittle. Several years ago
when I was diving a lot more, it became the rage to have the wildest paint
scheme on SCUBA tanks. One method was to coat the tank with a particular
paint that required it to be baked for a time. A set of twin aluminum
cylinders were treated this way and upon their refill at the dive shop
compressor, they exploded. I did not know the dive shop operator but heard
about it later. When the tanks blew, they removed both his legs and
destroyed the shop. For a long time, no one would even think about filling
re-painted aluminum cylinders unless they knew their history. Steel
cylinders, I'm sure, are much safer.This has been several years ago and I
assume nothing has changed. Thought I would pass this along. It is something
I have remembered for a long time.  Bees!
> t !
> regards, Mark Steed

> From: "Herve" <caribsub@coqui.net>
> Date:  Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:42:29 -0400
>
> >Yes all scuba tanks have different sizes in the US, a100cuft aluminium
tank
> >(3000 psi) is bigger than a steel 100 cuft tank (3500 psi), expended air
is
> >the same, but volume of compressed air is different depending of the
> >pressure.
> >
> >It is prohibited to refill breathing air tanks from industrial
compressor,
> >or air shop compressors. Scuba HP compressors are designed to fill up
> >cylinders with high pressure with no moisture or contaminated gas.
> >When you compress air, temp goes up and oil or grease residuts, if any,
but
> >present in industrial comp can burn and produce CO, which is odorless.
> >Moisture in tanks creates oxydations inside, even in a aluminium tank and
> >weakens the walls.
> >In 1981 during my first scuba dive in the NAVY, 2 experienced divers on
> >another task died because of that. It was a n old compressor, and
somebody
> >reversed a set of filters, which produced CO due to the high temperature.
> >They both lost conscience and drawned and never forgot that. So a good
> >advise....  use dedicated compressors to refill tanks and other life
support
> >air sytems, and leave shop air compressors for air tools.
> >Herve

and
> >150
> >and