Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Plywood and auto parts.

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:35:17 -0600 David Buchner  writes:

>On Tuesday, Jan 7, 2003, at 08:59 US/Central, Michael B Holt wrote:
>> Actual 1-inch, smooth.   Perhaps 500 board feet would do it.   The
>> minimunm length of the side planks will be 14 feet 4 inches; there
>> has to be about 25 of those.
>
>Oh, that *is* expensiver, isn't it? There's a lumber business term for
>that stuff, isn't there? Like "five quarter board" or something else
>that implies that it starts out bigger than an inch so that it ends up
>exactly an inch after planing? Probably has to be ordered up special?

Yeah, that's 5/4.   I have nightmares about the cost of it.

>So other than those 25 14-or-16-footers, the balance of the 500 board
>feet can be in some more modest lengths? 8-footers, say? And you want
>'em 9 inches wide? Not 8 or 10?

I think 5 feet is the longest that could be required.    The nine-inch
dimension is based on the apparent number of boards and the
probable total height of the box hull.

>Have you thought of buying a portable mill for the project, and then
>reselling it when you're done?

No, but I don't have room for it if I'd thought of it.

>Does it really, absolutely critically, need to be all that smooth?
>What  if you just used rough-sawn stuff and attacked it with a sander?

I suppose it needs to be smooth enough to avoid any big
splinters.   Someone would make a fortune off sandpaper
for the project.

>Or, I suppose you could maybe just go ahead and use plywood, like you
>already said... ;-)

Well, yeah ....   Plywood will bend a bit better than a one-inch chunk of
pine.

>I've been imagining this with the two layers of planks going in
>opposite directions, for more strength. Do I have that right?

I don't know what Lake did.  I assume he thought of that, but he
might have had them overlapping and braced internally.   No one
seems to know anything at all about the interior of Junior.

>Did you already post a picture?

Not of my idea, but photos are at Jeff Lake's  website:
http://www.simonlake.com

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com