Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Plywood and auto parts.

On Tuesday, Jan 7, 2003, at 08:59 US/Central, Michael B Holt wrote:
> Actual 1-inch, smooth.   Perhaps 500 board feet would do it.   The
> minimunm length of the side planks will be 14 feet 4 inches; there
> has to be about 25 of those.

Oh, that *is* expensiver, isn't it? There's a lumber business term for
that stuff, isn't there? Like "five quarter board" or something else
that implies that it starts out bigger than an inch so that it ends up
exactly an inch after planing? Probably has to be ordered up special?

So other than those 25 14-or-16-footers, the balance of the 500 board
feet can be in some more modest lengths? 8-footers, say? And you want
'em 9 inches wide? Not 8 or 10?

Have you thought of buying a portable mill for the project, and then
reselling it when you're done?

Does it really, absolutely critically, need to be all that smooth? What
if you just used rough-sawn stuff and attacked it with a sander?

Or, I suppose you could maybe just go ahead and use plywood, like you
already said... ;-)

I've been imagining this with the two layers of planks going in
opposite directions, for more strength. Do I have that right?

Did you already post a picture?

David
buchner@wcta.net
Osage, MN, USA