Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] nuclear psub? (fruity goodness)

On Monday, Jan 6, 2003, at 22:44 US/Central, Warrend Greenway wrote:

> You know what happens when you put a brass screw in an aluminum plate,
> right?
> There is an electrical imbalance between the metals caused by their
> valance
> electrons. The electrons will migrate from one metal to another,
> causing corrosion.
> The metal sourcing the electrons will be positive. It actually is
> quite practical
> since this is basically how most batteries work.

Lucky for us, we live in a universe that has valence electrons!

I'm guessing that my homemade batteries failed because I didn't have
enough surface area on those plates. If you think of it that way --
with one of the plates being the source of the extra electrons -- then
it becomes essential to have a lot of them that can move out, doesn't
it?

David
buchner@wcta.net
Osage, MN, USA