Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bravo Zulu Captain Beach

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:33:11 -0600 "Mark Steed" writes:
>Michael: "Bravo Zulu" is a U.S. Navy signal meaning "WELL DONE". I
>think you deserve one. See the history of "Bravo Zulu" at:
>http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-2.htm

Thanks.

>I am 48 years old now and still remember all of my childhood heroes
>and nothing has changed my mind over the years. My old man was a U.S.
>Naval Aviator in World War 2 (never call them pilots, pilots "drive"
>ships).

I made an enemy for life when I was about 10.  I asked innocently
why the Air Force had "pilots" when the Navy's term "aviator"
obviously encompassed a greater range of skills.   One of the
adults nearby was an Air Force pilot.

Oh, well.

> Growing up, my bedtime stories were about Halsey, Nimitz,
>Hellcats, Wildcats, the Yorktown and the submarines Tang and Wahoo.

I'd have loved that.

>Don't even get me going on airplanes. They are and always will be my
>first love after the wife and kids. My love of submarines is on an
>even keel with the planes. I alternate between them all.

Hey, do you know how I might get the builder's prints of the F2A?

> I never met
>Captain Beach but what an honor it would have been. It is also so sad
>that our World War Two vets are leaving us at over 1000 a day.

We need to collect all the history we can.   Historians know that
much is lost every day, and when there is no longer anyone who
was really present at a given event, much of what happened is
lost forever.

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com