Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bravo Zulu Captain Beach

Hi,

Yes, I have been reading along. I like the first two award ideas with a twist:

PSUBS 2002 Kittredge Award

PSUBS 2002 Busby Award

Now with the category for non-technical writing Jules Verne was the first
name that came to me. We could dice it up more by saying:

PSUBS 2002 Beach Award: for historical fact writing that promotes submarines in
general.

PSUBS 2002 Verne Award: for fantasy/science fiction writing that promotes
submarines in general.

I am concerned that we might become a literary society. The original purpose
for the Awards was to encourage PSUBSers down the road of actually constructing
hardware. From Design to Sub so to speak. I think that focus is still
valid.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Ray

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:33:11 -0600
> From: "Mark Steed" <plutomark@mail.astate.edu>
> To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bravo Zulu Captain Beach
>
> Michael: "Bravo Zulu" is a U.S. Navy signal meaning "WELL DONE". I think you
deserve one. See the history of "Bravo Zulu" at:
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-2.htm
> I am 48 years old now and still remember all of my childhood heroes and
nothing has changed my mind over the years. My old man was a U.S. Naval Aviator
in World War 2 (never call them pilots, pilots "drive" ships). Growing up, my
bedtime stories were about Halsey, Nimitz, Hellcats, Wildcats, the Yorktown and
the submarines Tang and Wahoo. Don't even get me going on airplanes. They are
and always will be my first love after the wife and kids. My love of submarines
is on an even keel with the planes. I alternate between them all. I never met
Captain Beach but what an honor it would have been. It is also so sad that our
World War Two vets are leaving us at over 1000 a day. All the more reason for a
PSUBS Award in Captain Beach's name for exactly the criteria you lay out. Ray,
if you are reading along, what do you think? Anybody in the group have any
comments? Best regards, Mark Steed