[PSUBS-MAILIST] Engineering aa Psub was Re: Drive shaft alignment & sopport.

The first hull design of the Euronaut was more theoretical engineering
than practical - a perfect teardrop and much to expensive to build..

The later presure hull design was a practical simple cylinder with
endcaps and calculate by normal boiler calculations diagramms and
formuals as it is a good practise.

Later I show the pressure hull drawing to a more theoretical working
engineer - and he make a computer stress analysis (FE) - special at
points which are very difficult to calculate or estimate by hand..

This analysis shows that the real collapse deep is 430 m ( 1410 feet)
and not 500 m (1640 feet) as calculate by hand.
We develop some extra theoretical stiffteners (3-4 different versions)
at the weak points -  to increase the collapse deep to 535 m (1755 feet)
- I welded them practical in .. for just 200 Dollar.

Now the collaspe deep should be near 535 m theoretical and practical..
.. But that hopefully I never will find out because in my practical
Handbook how to drive this horse on page one, line one :
"Never dive in ocean areas deeper than testdeep = 320 m (1050 feet)."

Seems you need both : practical and theoretical engineering.

Practical engineering is a very good and quick solution
if you have the praxis - but at technical areas were nobody
was before some theoretical calculation would help much.

I still think that the best solution for a homebuild submarine
is that :

1.0) make your own design,
1.1) sleep about it,
1.2) think about it,
1.3) make different versions,
1.5) calculate what ever you can calculate - if
     you have now idear.. read the archive files about
     bouancy, pressure hull, propane tanks etc,
     and the F&A page at Psubs.
1.6) make your choise

2.0) send the drawing to the psub drawing support side at moki files
2.1) send a mail to this list with the link
2.2) If you ask friendly :
     somebody with more theoretical background will diskuss it with you.
2.3) If you ask friendly :somebody with more practical knowledge
will         diskus it with you.
2.4) Ask yor wife..
2.5) Keep the car out of the garage..
2.5) Build it.