Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drive shaft alignment & sopport.

Starck Wrote:

>If you enjoy problems and complicated expensive solutions complete with
>all sorts of reasons why what works in practice is no good in theory and
>should be ignored consult an engineer..  They can  solve problems that
>don't even exist and create new ones no one else has encountered before.

That is absolute B.S.  No matter what your profession is, you find those
who are incompetent, unknowing, and irrelevant.  The engineering profession
is no exception.  However, what I have found through the years over and
over is people who have limited knowledge of technical issues who make
broad-ranging and very verbal assumptions.  These people, because they do
not completely understand the underlying theory, believe that those who do
understand and can employ that theory are somehow living in their own world
using tools that are irrelevant to good design practice.

I will give a case in point.  I know someone that pressure chamber tested a
submersible window design using Lexan.  The window was one-time tested to
beyond the rated operating depth of the sub.  The Lexan actually had a
noticable bow inward under pressure creating a convex/concave window.  The
logic here was simple and of course not needing any real theory, certainly
not any engineering expertise.  The logic simply put was that, if the
window did not fail under one cycle of pressure, somewhat over the rated
operating depth of the sub, coupled with the fact that Lexan seemed a
wonder material and would never actually break, everything was fine.  This
is a typical assumption made by someone that does not understand the
properties of the material.  "No engineering theory needed here.  We just
proved that it will work.  We built 100 of them and never had a problem."

There is NO way I want to go down below very shallow depths in a sub with
thin Lexan windows.  Likewise, there is NO way I want to go down to 1000
feet in a sub that uses wire penetraters made from flair fittings and
O-Rings relying on nothing but the wire's insulation to keep the water out.

You do not have to be an "engineer" to construct a safe submersible, if you
find outside help from qualified individuals, but the PSUBer has the
responsibility to determine who to get advice from.  After many years of
this type of work, I feel that I have just about reached the level where I
know what I don't understand and where to get good help.  Basically, I am
NOT an expert.  But, I know where to find good advice.

Gary Boucher