Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Through Hulls

Gary

I've heard several people say that straight shaft drives with the motor located
inside the hull wasn't a good way to go but none ever said why.  Alignment could
be a problem, I guess, but with sound planning that could be dealt with.  The
need for bearings in sea water is an issue I didn't consider but as Jay points
out, a non metallic bushing could be used on the prop side of the seal.  True,
thrust would be transmitted through the shaft but a properly sized ball bearing
flange block inside the hull would be adequate to carry that load.

I guess it mainly boils down to how a straight shaft fits your hull design and do
you want a fixed prop and a rudder or a prop that is directional.

Thanks for the explanation.
Dan H.