Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydraulic Drive Unit

Carl

      That was never my intention in anything I wrote here, to say that if
you don't have some sort of credentials you should not be here or build a
sub.  I hope you didn't read that from anything I said.  I would also get
caught in that one.  My doctorate in engineering is not in mechanical.  I
do not even have a BS in mechanical engineering.    The best credentials I
can offer would be the fact that I have done it, at least once.  I have
gone through the design and construction of a completely successful sub, a
sub that does exactly what it was designed to do.
      If I may, I would like to tell you more about my design and why I did
some of the things I did.  Most everyone that builds a small sub
concentrates on high visibility, accepts the expected slow speeds, and
tries for max duration.  This was not my design philosophy at all.  I
wanted to built a sub for the pure enjoyment of driving it.  I did not
concentrate on vision as I have only 5 windows and they are all on the
sail.  I did not want outside battery pods as I wanted the boat to look and
feel more like a traditional U-Boat, long and sleek.  I did not want to use
dive planes, but have the capability of obtaining a fairly steep pitch nose
up or down.  And last but not least, I wanted speed!  I wanted enough HP to
drive the boat at a speed that would give some sensation similar to
conventional subs.
     Because of the ballast tank arrangement fore and aft, I did not choose
to use a drive shaft running through the hull.  I wanted the power to
originate behind the rear ballast tank.  Not having unlimited funds, I
could not go out and purchase thrusters or opt for some motor combination
that would have cost me thousands of dollars.  I had to design within my
limits both physical and monetary.  I was interested in trolling motors,
but cost of multiple motors, pressure compensation, and the lack of thrust
in most models deterred me from that choice.  Believe me I looked!
     I had to have a great deal of thrust for what I wanted to do.  I was
not interested in duration.  As a matter of fact I have never even used a
scrubber on board.  My longest dive to date is about 30 minutes.I was not
overly concerned with efficiency as this was not a primary objective.
     When you study propellers you will find that the thrust a propeller
produces is related to many factors, one of which is inflow velocity.  If
you do not know the drag numbers for a specific sub, it is easy to
miscalculate propeller match to a motor.  One thing that hydraulic drive
allowed is the ability to change the displacement of the motor to better
match the boats performance, not to mention solving many problems with
outboard motors in housings and thru-hull electrical interfaces.  Mismatch
of a motor-propeller combination in torque and RPM can result in low
efficiency in itself.  As it turned out my best educated guess was good and
I have not had to change hydraulic motor displacement.
     Also, because of the fore mentioned pitch control, I needed a large
hydraulic cylinder to move a heavy weight in a track along the keel.  I
would have had to employ rather robust hydraulics with or without the
propulsion.

Gary Boucher