Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydraulic Drive Unit

Mr. Starck,

    I am not an advocate of this method for all subs.  Much to the contrary
as you would find by reading my notes to SubQuandary trying to dissuade him
from the use of hydraulics.  There are approaches that are more efficient
and simpler for many applications.  But, in engineering you will find that
throwing a blanket condemnation on a certain practice closes many doors to
you.  Also, many of the "Successfully Addressed" points that you bring up
are perhaps successful, but at what cost?  Lets look at some of your simple
alternatives.

Directional Control:

Rudders are nowhere as efficient as vectored thrust in turning a large boat
such as mine.  Dive planes and rudders to a perhaps lesser extent require
forward velocity of the sub to be effective.  Nozzles are a most expensive
alternative not to mention many complexities of design.  Remember Mr.
Starck that these are not builders with high levels of expertise or
resources.  Steerable motors to me represent the only viable alternative as
I have mentioned in my posts.  Most on PSUBS will be limited to modified
trolling motors.

Carbon/Ceramic Shaft Seals:

Running one or two shafts from inside the pressure hull to outside
propellers is no small engineering task, as you would see if you attempted
a design from the ground up.  I know it sounds simple, but try engineering
a sub such as I designed and constructed using power coupled to the
propeller system with thru-hull shafts.  It can certainly be done, but you
might be surprised at the extra measures you must take to make this work.

Reversible Motor Switches:

Certainly this can be done, but as an electrical engineer, I will tell you
that there are issues which will limit the type of motor you can purchase
for this application.  For example, any motor that is not a permanent
magnet motor will have to have field and armature currents reversed
separately.  This may require a major alteration of the motor itself.  Even
with PM motors, reversing will require some level of effort.

Weight Distribution:

How can you say that weight distribution is not an issue?  Weight
distribution is just as much an issue as any of the other issues I am
addressing here and is certainly a component of the package of sub
design.  It's all part of the big picture.

Ballast Control:

My sub does not have dive planes at all.  Few subs fall in this
category.  I obtain 100% of my up-down bubble with weight control and that
requires hydraulics given my boat geometry.  Electric motors would add an
order of magnitude in complexity.  But, I am sure you have a simple fix for
this too.  There is absolutely no safety issues related to using the
hydraulic system for both applications.  A smaller hydraulic system would
be required anyway to move the weight that I use for pitch control.

Pressure Housings:

Sure they are reliable, but they must be designed.  They must be
constructed.  And, they must be checked often.  They must also be capable
of dissipating the amount of heat generated while holding the motor at a
reasonable temperature.  Compensation is not simple in most cases.

Leak Detectors:

Sure, lets put in some inspection ports in our external motor
housing.  Lets add some leak detectors too.  We can hook the detectors into
the instrument system so the pilot can see if the motor housing is leaking.

     Now, I am going to make a few statements here and leave this issue for
the time being.

(1) I am not advocating using Hydraulic Propulsion for every or even many
designs.  It worked for me in solving several major problems in the
engineering process.

(2) Coming from the standpoint of most PSUBS people, what you think is
simple is going to create major issues for them.  Believe me, I have been
through the design process of many systems, both mechanical and electrical.

(3) Engineering anything such as a PSUB is going to require much thought
before a final decision is made in regard to anything in the design.  To
chart out an absolute path illuminating possibilities prior to studying the
other factors that go into a design is...  Well... Unacceptable.

(4) I get somewhat irritated when people that have not gone through this
process sit back like armchair quarterbacks and make broad reaching
technical statements.  I can assure you that if you have not gone through
this experience, you have much to learn about the sub engineering process.

(5) Hydraulic Drive is used on a number of subs, and subs that are not
under the amateur heading.  I am not sure of how many there are out there,
but do some research and fine out why they used it.

Gary Boucher