Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydraulic Drive Unit

Gary,

I don't have the time nor inclination to get into a pissing contest over
credentials.  I understood this thread to be about the putative merits
hydraulic driven propulsion for PSubs.  I offered the opinion this
approach offered no real advantage and considerable disadvantage as to
cost, total system bulk, complexity and efficiency.  I also said they
will work and work well but in view of the disadvantages they are not
the best solution.

Thus far your arguments for hydraulic propulsion are all hypotheticals
addressing non-problems while your objections to straight motor drives
are in regard to problems that in actual practice have been solved for
many years.  Literally thousands of  successful PSubs, ROVs, DPVs,
research submersibles and larger military and commercial submarines have
been built.  Only a tiny minority employ hydraulics for propulsion.
Propulsion system leakage and  reliability are rarely problems and in
those rare events are neither disasterous nor difficult to fix.

I am not familiar with your particular application and have no opinion
in that regard but as a general solution for PSubs which is what the
discussion seemed to be about, hydraulic propulsion would be a poor
choice.

Walter Starck
Golden Dolphin Video CD Magazine
The premiere publication of diving and the ocean world.
www.goldendolphin.com